It is a mystery why we fall in love. It is a mystery how it happens. It is a mystery when it comes. It is a mystery why some loves grow, and it is a mystery why some loves fail. You can analyze this mystery and look for reasons and causes, but you will never do any more than take the life out of the experience.
Love is more than the sum of the interests and attractions and commonalities that two people share. And just as life itself is a gift that comes and goes in its time, the coming of love must be taken as an unfathomable gift that cannot be questioned in its ways.
You need to treat what love brings you with kindness. If you find yourself in love with someone who does not love you, be gentle with yourself. There is nothing wrong with you. Love just didn’t choose to rest in the other person’s heart.
If you find someone else in love with you toward whom you feel no love, feel honored that love came and called at your door, but gently refuse the gift you cannot return. Do not take advantage; do not cause pain. How you deal with love is how love will deal with you, and all our hearts feel the same pains and joys, even if our lives and ways are very different.
If you fall in love with another who falls in love with you, and then love chooses to leave, do not try to reclaim it or to assess blame. Let it go. There is a reason and there is a meaning. You will know it in time, but time itself will choose the moment.
Remember this and keep it in your heart. You don’t choose love. Love chooses you. All you can really do is accept it for all its mystery when it comes into your life. Feel the way it fills you to overflowing, then reach out and give it away. Give it back to the person who brought it to you. Give it to others who seem poor in spirit. Give it to the world around you in any way you can.
Love has its own time, its own season, and its own reasons for coming and going. You cannot bribe it or coerce it or reason it into staying. If it chooses to leave your heart or the heart of your lover, there is nothing you can do and nothing you should do. Be glad that it came to live for a moment in your life. If you keep your heart open, it will surely come again.
- Kent Nerbern
- smov likes this
- kayjway likes this
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- acceptthechanges reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork
- kukats04 reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork
- deepmonkey likes this
- oxfordcmma likes this
- elenaboroski likes this
- jaythehitman likes this
- yesbelove likes this
- pearlsforyoureyes likes this
- spacemonkeyphotographics reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork
- kristinkayyy reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork
- kristinkayyy likes this
- mayrani reblogged this from rianaanwar
- starlitmemories likes this
- yeah-pretty-much likes this
- 311lila likes this
- may1983 reblogged this from thefire-rises
- may1983 likes this
- thefire-rises reblogged this from justalittlegreen and added:
- tmontg1 reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork
- tmontg1 likes this
- eudaimonialove reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork
- shelzie likes this
- scuddingclouds likes this
- thereisnohurry likes this
- simplyerin likes this
- thereluctanthipster likes this
- thesevenology reblogged this from melissabillions
- sassyburrito8 reblogged this from awelkrhno
- melissabillions reblogged this from thelittleyellowdiary
- tarvertalkshere likes this
- awelkrhno reblogged this from thelittleyellowdiary
- s-p-i-n-s likes this
- thelittleyellowdiary reblogged this from justalittlegreen
- moonstruckaffection likes this
- eocv likes this
- runwithflowers likes this
- myonly-sunshiine likes this
- ihhzzzeeee likes this
- emotionalfuckwit likes this
- justalittlegreen reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork and added:
- justalittlegreen likes this
- loveisthewholething reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork and added:
- cowgirls-and-queens reblogged this from icecreamisbetterwithafork
- infinite-e likes this